- For our feature story, Chevrolet announced their 2015 Corvette Z06 will have 650 horsepower, making it the most powerful production car ever from General Motors.
- The Z06’s LT4 supercharged 6.2L V-8 is now officially SAE-certified at 650 horsepower and 650 lb-ft of torque.
- Chevrolet says notable is the fact that the torque is wide across the rev range starting at 457 lb-ft right off idle, and 625 lb-ft at only 2,800 rpm.
- The new supercharged engine is based on the same 6.2 liter V8 found in the Stingray, but has several unique features in addition to its 1.7 liter supercharger.
To name a few, it gets Rotocast aluminum cylinder heads, lightweight titanium intake valves, forged connecting rods, aluminum pistons, and stainless steel exhaust manifolds.
It has a relatively high 10.0:1 compression ratio for a forced-induction engine enabled with use of direct fuel injection.
- The 2015 Z06 will be standard with a seven-speed manual transmission or an all-new, paddle-shift eight-speed automatic.
- The Z06 goes on sale late this year and will cost….a lot.